Keeping your home in good shape is as important as keeping your body in one. A house that is repaired and maintained regularly can save not only disasters but also a lot of money. In this piece, the focus is on the little steps a homeowner can take. They are divided into two broad categories: what to do outside your home and what to do inside your house, to make things easier and more organized.
What to check for outside your home?
• Trees are literally the root of the problem. A big tree that is far away from home can have roots that spread out wide. These roots can even use up all the water around your land. A dry land under your extension can cause significant problems. Trim the trees, especially f they are willow, oak, poplar or lime.
• With trees come leaves that get stuck in gutters. Check your gutters, a minimum of four times a year. Look for any dried-up clumps like bird nests or fallen leaves that may block water. A blocked drain leads to water leaking inside the home.
• The roof of the house is one place that should be regularly kept an eye on. Go outside and look at it for broken tiles of missing ones. A better option would be to call in a builder or roofer who can even check for water insulation. If you have hired a constructor, ask them to look at the walls too for any corrosion or infestation.
• The sewers are generally left as an afterthought. But a blocked drain can be the cause of an unusually pungent smell. A thorough once-over of pipes for faults can save a lot of headache in the long term.
What to look for inside your home?
• Rot can crumble a home from the inside out. A quick check of all the frames in the house should be done every season. Keep the windows and doors that are open to the elements of nature particularly in mind. If there is any give in them, changes the frames ASAP.
• Any electric socket that is parking or lights that flickering should be sorted out immediately. These can be fire hazards. Call in an electrician and get them checked.
• Look for the smallest damp spots on walls and ceilings. Even a tiny patch can grow up to be a big issue that may require extensive repairs. Look for the source of the stain instead of just patching up the stain.
• Most of us forget to maintain radiators until they stop working. Bleeding a radiator is during mid-winter and at the start of the season is an excellent way to keep them working efficiently. Any heater that is filled with air works only at 50% power. This means it used more energy and racks up the electricity bill.
Each of these small steps can be taken quickly. They will not only keep the home in good repair but also stave-off any major problems.
Every kitchen is the heart of every home. Without it, a home is just a place where people sleep. A home becomes just a building with four walls and roof without a kitchen. A kitchen is incomplete without the proper appliances. Think about it. What good is the kitchen place if it doesn’t have a hot plate or an oven or Egg Cooker? In this article, the focus will be on some appliances that are not given their due. They may seem superfluous, but believe that once they are begun to put to use, they will become indispensable.
- A Tea Kettle – The Electric One
A whole appliance just to boil water? Who has that much of space? These are the first two thought crossing the minds of most readers, right about now. But for a home that has tea drinkers in it, an electric kettle is essential. It is vital. Teapots that can be left on the stove may be all-the-rave with their designer looks, but only an electronic pot gives you peace of mind. Why is that? Because they have an auto switch-off. Instead of standing in front of the stove every hour waiting for the water to boil, electric kettles give the user freedom.
- A Coffee Grinder – The Used One
A coffee grinder can grind anything. That is the wonder of them. For homes that use a lot of spices, a used coffee grinder can be used in N number of ways. Instead of wasting money on spice blends, buy a used coffee grinder and make your own chili powder or barbecue rubs. A quick method is to dry out the spices in the oven. Crumble the brittle spices and then grind them. One can even store these spices in bottles for later use. Chipotles, anchos, guajillos, etc. one can crush any kind of spice in them. Just ensure that you don’t use the same grinder for coffee and spices.
This is one appliance that stops people mid-stride. But trust us, once you have had homemade bread, you will never go back. The benefit of a bread machine is not that it bakes, but that it raises one flawlessly. For home-bakers, it is a common point of contingency that the dough never rises as much as they want. A bread machine has the unique ability to warm the ingredients and then mix them. It even keeps the temperature at apt hundred degrees while the yeast works. This quality is what makes a bread machine indispensable.
- An Egg Cooker – Again, The Electric One
It is portable. It is mess free. It is accurate. From perfectly hard-boiled eggs to super soft-boiled ones, an electric egg cooker does it all. The worry of hit and miss is taken away with this kitchen gadget. It is simple to use, too. Just put in a measured amount of water as per the eggs you need and switch it on. When the water evaporates completely, cooker switches off. The appliance even comes with its own measuring container.